Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tugging on heartstrings

It's Thursday night. That means Uncle D (normally) has his weekly night out with the guys--he goes to sing with his Christian rock band, Prodigal. And even though it's been one of those days, and the twins have a cold that's making them (and me) miserable, I don't have the heart to tell him that I need him to stay home. He hasn't been in several weeks, due to a couple of cancellations and giving me last Thursday night off.

After grumbling about the fact that he's missing the airing of "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation," he packs up his stuff to head out.

Medium Fry cheerfully announces, "I don't want a kiss and a hug!"

Hubby says, "Okay," and heads out the door.

And the wailing commences.

"Unca Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"  Hubby's one-syllable name gets stretched into at least two.  "I want a kiss and a hug!" This gets wailed at the door. "Please!"

Hubby keeps going towards the van, and Medium Fry relocates to the toy room couch, staring forlornly out the window. "Unca Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!"

She could give Inigo Montoya a run for his money. ("Fezzik! He's getting away from me! Pleeeeeease!")

"Pleeeeease! *sob* Pleeeeeeeeeeease! *sob* Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!"

It's breaking my heart to try to supervise the other two, who are finishing supper, and eat my own meal, while Medium is half-collapsed on the couch, crying and sobbing for Uncle D to pleeeeeeeeeeease come back.

Just as I'm about to abandon the idea of a hot dinner and go get her myself, I hear the front door open and I almost cry in relief. Hubby walks in, shoots me a look that says he's not sure how he's going to explain this one to the guys, and he turns to face Medium Fry and crouches down, holding out his arms.

I can't see the action unfold, but I'm pretty sure Medium ran pell-mell into his arms. Sobs mostly muffled against Hubby's chest are still coming out. He speaks gently to her, and I hear the smack of a kiss as my heart feels like it's about to melt and explode all at the same time.

"Do you want to go sit with Auntie J?" She must have nodded. "Okay." He straightens up and says, "Can you give Auntie J a kiss for me?"

Medium's bunny-tail (it's not quite a ponytail) bobs as she nods.

Hubby heads off to practice.

I'll have to be sure to tell him, though, that murmured cries for Uncle D continued after he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.