Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Hard Hat and Bubble Wrap, Stat

At Middle's follow-up with her doctor on Monday, she was referred to what's called the "concussion clinic," a part of the health group's practice that specializes a little more in concussions and their treatment.

We went there today. I had to hold her elbow again today as we walked into the building, much like I had on Monday when we walked into the doctor's office. She's still having trouble walking in a straight line.

I helped Middle fill out the demographic information on the computer screen, then concentrated on my own paperwork to fill out while she completed an assessment test designed to determine how impaired her cognition is, as well as gauging her symptoms. I was sternly instructed not to help with this part, so I didn't...with the exception of defining a few words that Middle had trouble with.

I couldn't help but think she might've been able to figure them out on her own, had her poor head not been in a jumble. She's such a smart cookie.

We went through the spiel again with both the nurse and the PA about Saturday's accident. When he asked me what I meant by "nonresponsive for 75 minutes," I told him she didn't talk or respond or say anything during that time, no matter how we tried to get her to talk to us. Basically unconscious, sir, with the exception of being able to see into her eyes a tiny bit.

Middle still couldn't perform the horizontal nystagmus (that's put-your-finger-on-your-nose, for you folks not up on your big words) today, just like Monday. She still had trouble tracking where a finger was located if asked to touch it.

The upshot of today's visit? Her concussion is severe. Recovery will likely be slow and take time. (These were not the words my notoriously impatient, let's-do-it-now child wanted to hear.)

We have a referral to a pediatric neurologist, just in case. We're starting that now, because it takes about two months to get in to see one. If we don't need it, we can always cancel the referral. But we don't want to be a month behind if we discover in a month that we do need that referral.

Middle is also being referred to physical therapy to help with her balance and dizziness issues.

The PA at the concussion clinic drew up a pretty comprehensive plan for Middle's return to school, based on her assessment today. She's out for the rest of the week, and goes back for half-days on Monday. I'm glad she doesn't have to go back yet, based on her continued balance issues and sensitivity to light and sound.

We go back to the concussion clinic for a follow-up in two weeks to see where we are.

In the meantime, I think I'm investing in a hard hat and bubble wrap for my kid, whose head is apparently not as hard as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.