Sunday, June 9, 2024

We're Having a Grape Time Tonight

So I'm sitting here in the dining room, trying to concentrate. 

There's a whoop from the kitchen, and suddenly Youngest says, "It looks like I don't have a lip."

This is, in my world, what one might call A Clue.

I also suspect that dinner might be done, so I get up and gimp into the kitchen.

Youngest is sporting a cloth bandaid over her lip. It does indeed look like her skin goes straight to her upper lip without stopping. More than a little weird, if you ask me.

Knowing I'm violating Rule #2 but feeling I need to, I asked, "Why do you have a bandaid on your lip?"

Middle answered. "Youngest had her mouth on my knuckles, and so I went to bump her with my fist, like this"--here she mimicked a gentle punch, if you can call it that--"but I really went like this"--she gestured a nice uppercut--"and I split her lip. I feel so bad!"

I avoided the question of why Youngest was apparently kissing her twin's fist and swiveled my head to look at her instead.

"I'm fine," she insisted, touching the bandaid centered neatly on her lip.

Oldest is trying to muffle her giggles.

Middle fetched some grapes from the fridge, which were quite tasty and had a pleasing crunch, as she then told us. "Youngest, you have to try one of these."

Youngest balked. "I don't like those."

We are a house divided when it comes to grapes: we all love seedless, but Youngest and I love green grapes, while Oldest and Middle will only eat the red ones. Middle was brandishing red grapes.

Middle selected a fat red grape and pushed it towards her twin's mouth. Youngest reared back. 

"No, they're really good. Try it!" Middle switched out the next grape she picked, which was smaller, for the monster she was trying to force on Youngest. Youngest gamely let her twin pop the grape into her mouth...but then couldn't close her mouth to chew without it putting pressure on the split in her lip.

Now everyone's laughing as Youngest tries to eat the grape without having to hold her lip in the middle.

Middle grinned at me. "You might as well have had boys!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.