Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Motherhood Doesn't Give Sick Days

Which, really, I knew.  I can't tell you how many times my mom had soldiered on, being sick herself, because her family needed her.  Or one of us kids was sick too.  I can only think of a handful of times that Mom pulled rank and told Dad that he had to take the day off, because we needed someone healthy to care for the sick ones, Mom included.

Sometimes I thought Mom's healthy work ethic was a little too healthy.

But I understand that more now than I ever did as a kid.

I am sick.  I have a sinus infection.  I get these several times per year, so I know all the signs and symptoms and I usually just wait it out until I'm sure it's moved from viral sinusitis to bacterial, so that I can get help from modern medicine in getting over it.  I goofed this time and didn't wait long enough, so I got to shell out a copay to be told to go home and get rest and drink plenty of fluids.  Really.  I have three little kids.  What doctor really thinks that a mom with three small children is going to be able to REST?  Honestly, the kids act up the most when I need them to be the most well-behaved.  It's an inverse proportionality.

At least my doctor was nice enough to give me an antibiotic prescription, just in case, this went from viral to bacterial.

It's moved to bacterial and has settled in my chest, just like always.  So now I'm laying in bed, trying to keep from hacking up a lung and being grateful that my husband is not working.  He can take care of the kids.  I can try to rest.

A few minutes ago, I got a blank text message from Hubby.  I sent a text back, asking what he needed.  He asked if I was okay.  I explained that I'd come back upstairs after getting something to eat, because I was hacking like crazy and wanted to rest.  His text message response was that Small Fry was hearing something "weird" from upstairs, and since he's got his headphones on, he wasn't hearing it.

I guess she just needed to be reassured that I'm okay.

And that there's not a monster upstairs.  It's just Auntie J, who's just making a lot of noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.