Thursday, October 14, 2010

You must be smarter than the 3-year-old

We have this rule.  No wearing shoes in the house.

It's not for the same reason my mother had that rule, which was because she didn't want her new carpet all dirtied up by our shoes.  We have wood floors, so that's hardly a consideration.

However, we have a persistent penchant among the children to not put their shoes away.  This means they get lost.  A lot.  Mostly, in the no-man's-land under the couch.  Unless they're elsewhere, hiding.

So, in an effort to keep the shoes corralled for when we do need them as we're getting ready to head out the door, all shoes belong on the shoe shelf.  If your tootsies are cold, well, wear your slippers.  Which also belong on the shoe shelf when not in use.  But it's easier to find a pair of pink slippers than it is to find the errant sneakers.  I don't know why.  It just is.

It's chilly here this morning, and I think fall has finally arrived to stay.  It's also dreary and rainy.  Medium Fry announced that her feet were cold.  Small Fry echoed.

"Put on your slippers, then," Hubby told them.

Not five minutes later, I hear him say in exasperation, "No shoes on in the house!"

The twins, who were in the toy room, must have looked at him, dumbfounded.

Of course, their definition of "shoes" is "sneakers."  Everything has to be specific.  You can't just say a generic "shoes."

Hubby goes on.  "You can't wear sandals in the house.  You can't wear flip-flops in the house.  If your feet are cold, find your slippers and put them on."

Small Fry immediately objects.  "But we're at the beach!"  Clearly, Unca D is stupid, because they ALL know that you don't wear slippers to the beach.  You wear sandals or flip-flops.

I'm trying to muffle a laugh from my desk in the living room.  I'm glad it's not me, because I have no idea how I'd answer that one.

Hubby puts his hands on his hips.  "Then you pretend that your slippers are flip-flops.  Put the flip-flops back on the shelf."

He turned back to me, and tapped his forehead.

He didn't say a word, but I knew what he was thinking.

Gotta be smarter than the kid.

Round one to the parents today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.