Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Single-Mommy Experiment, Day One

We all loaded up in the van this morning at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m. (I prefer to only acknowledge one 5:30 per day, and that's not it), to take Hubby down to KSC in our old town, where he met up with the other youth pastors who were piling into KSC's big white van and driving down to Daytona Beach.

Sufferin' for da Lawd, they are.

I have no sympathy.

Innyhoo...there were tears and wails as we left Daddy behind.  Even the Hug Bears were of little comfort on the ride home.

It's worth pointing out here that the Hug Bears--which Hubby had hugged for each Fry, to "give" a hug from Daddy when they missed him this week--are all actually mine, and none of them are what you'd call small.  These are bears half the size of the Fries.

We got back to the house, and since the Fries were all still in jammies, and since the second service at church didn't start until 11a, and since it wasn't even 6:30a yet, I said we could all go pile in my bed.

As long as they were quiet, and went back to sleep.

And didn't horse around.

And didn't wrestle.

And were still.

So, there we were: one adult, one almost-seven-year-old, and five-and-a-half-year-old twins, in a queen-sized bed.  With three large teddy bears and two full-size Pillow Pets.

Crowded is an understatement.

I managed to sleep.

Sort of.

I don't think they did.

When we got up, the twins apparently attacked the box of mini powdered-sugar donuts that we'd picked up at Sheetz when Hubby stopped there for coffee before meeting up with the guys at KSC.  I was upstairs in the master bath, doing my hair, when Medium came up to tattle.

Tattling is an Olympic sport in our house, and all three of my kids are medalists.

Medium Fry: Mommy, Small Fwy frew donut cwumbs at me!

I called the other two usual suspects upstairs, and we had a brief discussion over who is in charge, and whether or not Large Fry gets to let Medium Fry countermand my orders (I had said not to touch the donuts until I got downstairs).  All of this, mind you, is while I'm still holding--and using--a very hot curling iron.

As much as I'm able to, I skewer Small Fry with a look.

Me: Small, did you throw donut crumbs at Medium?

Small Fry: Yes.

Me: Why did you throw donut crumbs at her?

Small: Becawse I fot she was a wreal donut!


Yeah.  It's a miracle I didn't burn myself.

1 comment:

  1. And so it begins.....

    I hope you're getting equal time once Hubby gets home.

    ReplyDelete

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.