Sunday, November 27, 2022

Mother Does, In Fact, Know Her Stuff

I've been listening to Christmas music for two weeks.

No, you may not blame me for early snow; my tree only went up on Saturday.

But I tell you this so that you can understand a bit of my headspace.

I think, however, that today was the first day I inflicted it on the children as we went anywhere. Seemed appropriate, as it's the first Sunday of Advent. Besides, they're something of a captive audience. And I might have a playlist on Spotify that runs a mere 31 hours 33 minutes of all my Christmas music. (That's nothing. My dad had a playlist that could go for nearly 3 weeks.)

I digress.

I'm telling you this so that you understand. Christmas music is playing in the car, and I have control over the aux cord.

Mark Lowry starts speaking, a leading intro to his famous song, "Mary, Did You Know?" The cut I'm listening to doesn't give the full comedy bit before he sings, but it gives enough to catch the flavor. This is, hands down, my favorite version of this song, and I say so.

From the back, Youngest pipes up. "I like Pentatonix's better."

Well. "Pentatonix does a good cover," I agree. "But this is the writer singing his own song. For me, there's something special about that."

And for 90% of the song, it's just Mark, and the late great Anthony Burger on piano. For a few key measures, the incomparable Guy Penrod and the equally amazing David Phelps join in. And they add some orchestration at the end that I have always thought they could do without. The blend of these three voices, though, is superior. It still gives me chills.

We listened through the song as I continued the drive home. As the last notes ebbed away, I sighed. Chills once again,

From the back, Youngest spoke. "I may have changed my mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.