Friday, November 10, 2023

The Sunglasses Saga

 So I lost my sunglasses today. Totally first world problems and all that, but since bright light is such a major migraine trigger for me, and the sun is such a huge flaming ball, I tend to go nowhere without my sunglasses.

Nowhere.

Losing them is therefore a Big Deal. A big enough deal, in fact, that I stopped at the closest Walmart to the office to buy a new (if ugly) pair on the way home from work today, just so that I could get home from work safely and migraine-free. I hate the new ones, but they were the only ones that fit reasonably well. I hoped I'd only need them as a back-up pair.

Because, to be honest with you, I thought this would be another "It ain't lost until Momma can't find it" story, and I'd get home and find my sunglasses merely overlooked in one of the places I'd told Oldest to look. (When the sun started to come out from behind the clouds while I was at work, I texted Oldest to search for my sunglasses there at home.) They weren't lost; they just didn't make it back into my bag after last night's Walmart run.

I know, I know. Two Walmart trips in 24 hours. Craziness.

But this was not the case. No sunglasses on the island. Not on the counter. Nor the dining room table. Not even in my bedroom, which was a last-resort spot to check. Okay, really lost.

I was officially sad. I really loved that pair.

I changed out of my work duds and saw that a message had come in via the Life360 app from Middle. So I poked my head downstairs and hollered to ask if she'd meant to send that to me or to Youngest.

Her bad. She hadn't meant to send it at all. Oops.

Well, at least she wasn't overly concerned about how long it took me to come home today.

Hey, I wonder. I yanked open the pocket door to the downstairs again. "Hey, Middle? Have you seen my sunglasses?"

"Oh, yeah. I know right where they are. Let me get them."

What.

Hang Rule #2 in all its glory. "Why do you have my sunglasses?"

A pause.

"There's a slight chance I might have used them last night when killing wasps in my room."

And that's when I remembered her girding up for battle like Nanook of the North last night, ready to take on all comers . . . including wearing my sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.