Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's the drugs, I tell you!

I've been heavily medicated for the last three weeks.

I had open-abdominal surgery three weeks ago, which I'm still recovering from. (If you really want to know, ask. But don't say I didn't warn you.) I spent two and a half days in the hospital before coming home and feeling like I couldn't even get into first gear. My folks took the Fries for ten days, until after my staples came out. (My mother lies. She said the medical staples would look more like ace bandage clips than something out of my desk stapler. They looked like staples out of my desk stapler, but on steroids.) I came to love demerol and phenergan while in the hospital, although I wasn't fond of the stiff muscles the injections gave me. It took about three days after I got home before that finally faded away. My doctor declared the surgery a raging success, gave me more details than I'm giving you (in an effort to spare your delicate sensibilities), and wished me luck.

Surgery was 3/9; the Fries returned home two Wednesdays later. We were all glad they were back. Grace at mealtimes took on a new formula:

God is great, God is good, and we thank him for our food. Bless Auntie J's boo-boo. Bless Unca D SO much. Bless Auntie J SO much. Amen.

A good friend from church came to help me out in the mornings for most of last week, which was a good thing. I saw the doctor for my follow-up visit last Friday, and he's very pleased with how I'm healing. He expected me to come in and complain that I was still in a fair amount of pain, and was surprised when I described what I was feeling a more of a persistent, nasty achiness and soreness. He wanted me to take it easy for another week or so, and said I should feel like a new woman when I come back in six weeks. In the meantime, I live in pajama pants during the day, unless I have to go out.

Sitting really upright for long periods of time is still ouchy, so I recline a lot (it makes church interesting). I still walk at one speed...slow. I can't pick up the Fries because I'm still under a weight restriction, which is frustrating to us all. But I'm slowly getting better. I nap when I need to, since I still tire easily. (Although, I didn't get my nap today. Stupid payroll week.)

Today, Large Fry woke up crying, and her skin was hot everywhere. I wasn't sure if it was just the effects of sleep still heating her skin, or if she was sick like she said. When she snuggled into Hubby in our bed for the usual morning cuddles and conked right back out, I knew something was up. Hubby ended up calling off of office duty today to take care of Large Fry so that I wouldn't be completely overwhelmed with payroll, healthy twin Fries, and a puking Large Fry. Large Fry has spent most of the day just laying on the couch. I think she's feeling better now, though, which is good news. (Fingers crossed that the twin Fries don't get this.) She told me she wanted pizza, and wasn't all that enthused when I insisted on Cheerios instead.

*yawn* I still have 2/3 of an inch of timesheets to wade through tonight--I have to audit them all this week, because our telephony system was down for about 40 hours during the pay period and I need to make sure I have all the shifts for that timeframe in the scheduling system I manage.

But there you have it. The last few weeks in a nutshell.

Now I think I'd better go figure out something for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.