Friday, April 27, 2018

Ladies' Night

It's finally happened.

No, not sharing my shoes with my daughter, although that happened with Oldest on Easter Sunday, when she complained her church shoes were woefully tight. I ended up just giving her two pairs of shoes I don't wear anymore. The worst part? She's probably going to outgrow those as well. Save me now. (Middle has already surpassed me.)

But no, not any of that.

I sat down at the dinner table tonight with the girls, just the four of us, as Hubby was working, and proceeded to spend the next three minutes having absolutely no idea what my children were discussing.

Enough names finally got tossed that I figured out they were talking about a game they all play online, and I presumed these to be "celebrity" YouTubers who make videos of their game play (people can make money at this?), and ye tap-dancing fishies, I am somehow old.

Which really was never to be the point of the blog post I intended to write tonight.

A friend on Facebook (and also in real life, because I am old and know 97% of my Facebook friends for realsies) had posted something today, asking how old you'd be in ten years, along with your kids. Another friend commented that it wasn't so much how old everyone would be in ten years that got to her, but how young everyone was just ten years before.

Since you're dying to know, I'll be 52, Special Edition will be 31, Oldest will be 22, and both Middle and Youngest will be 21. (The next decade will be interesting.)

But it was far less the future that caught my attention as it was my friend's comment about the past.

Ten years ago today, we would have had no kids.

This life wouldn't have even been a glimmer on the horizon. We had another few days before we got the first call from my brother, I think.

How boring.

I didn't dare comment on the post for fear of totally hijacking it and taking it in such a completely bent direction, but man... Ten years ago, there were no kids. Not in our daily lives, at least. Our "kids" had four legs and were the only self-cleaning things in the house.

Coming up in a little over a month, we celebrate an entire decade as a family. Ten years of parenting by the seat of our pants. Ten. Years.

Yeah, we're doing something special. Hubby and I are still talking options.

Wow.

"...not airy, like your brain is full of air, because it's not. I've seen it," Middle declared, speaking to her twin.

Oh. Hey. Still dinner. I set down my fork and studied Middle for a moment. "What did you do, look up her nose?"

Middle nodded effusively and waggled her eyebrows. "Uh-huh."

"Wait, you saw my brain?" Youngest scrunched up her nose.

"You were on the playroom bed, and I looked up, and there it was."

Giggles broke out around the table, and the conversational arc repeated itself as I sat there in bemused amusement for a good minute, just watching and listening. Then... "You do know you can't see her brain by looking up her nose, right?"

Middle shot back, deadpan, "Do you?" Her eyebrows wriggled again.

I sat back in my chair as a beat passed in silence. "I'm pretty confident in my science knowledge."

Middle laughed. "I have none. That's why I'm so smart."


Ladles and germs, this is my dinner table.

I hope it's this much fun still in another ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.