Monday, July 2, 2012

When it rains, it pours.

A little over a year ago, my best friend from high school emailed me, to let me know that her dad, a Navy veteran, had been diagnosed with mesothelioma.

My friend, A, is a cardiac nurse.  In situations like this, well, she knows too much.  She doesn't have the bliss of ignorance concerning the worst parts of cancer.

I know how much she loves her dad.

I love the crotchety guy, too.

She sent another message last night, with an update on her dad's condition.  They learned a couple months ago that his cancer was growing again, and due to some scheduling conflicts, he had missed both his chemo sessions for the last two months.  He was scheduled to go in again today to see his oncologist and have another chemo treatment.

He apparently had a bad allergic reaction to the chemo, because his throat closed up fast and his heart stopped before the docs could get there.  A said that they did CPR for a long time, which is never a good thing, before they were able to restart his heart and get a tube down his throat to help with breathing.

It will be another 24 hours or so before they know if there was any lasting damage from this little anaphylactic (spell check suggests "intergalactic") adventure.

If your praying muscles aren't already worn out, would you exercise 'em again for my friend?  She's scared.  Her mom is scared. They need wisdom.  And comfort.  And love.

Thanks.

Again.

2 comments:

  1. Prayers sent. I took Cipro about 5 years ago and ended up in that same place with my own 'intergalactic" adventure that put me into cardiac arrest from a severe allergic reaction. A week later I was eating bacon and laughing. Here's hoping his body bounces back from this in such a manner. It's horrifically frightening in any event. I hope your friend and her Mom can find comfort in their support system of those that care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, it's not looking good. He can't seem to wake up when they turn off the sedation. A's sister and her family arrive in the States today, and I have a feeling there will be some difficult decisions to make. There's just no good time to lose someone you love.

      Delete

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.