Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I finally understand.

My heart is heavy right now.

Hubby is having a very serious discussion with Large Fry about stealing, after today's events.

I got an email from Large Fry's teacher this morning regarding a cell phone that she had seen Large Fry with yesterday.  Long story short, another student had brought in the cell phone from home (although she knew she shouldn't), Charity had found it, and claimed it as hers when the teacher asked her about it.  Then the teacher got a note from the parent this morning, asking about it.  I found the ill-booten gotty tucked under her own belongings, stuffed into the box my slippers (received as a Christmas gift) were packaged in.

We'd had previous issues with her taking little things that she found--ponytail holders, pencils, erasers.  We've had discussions about why taking things that don't belong to her is wrong.

Hubby went over to pick Large Fry up and return the phone and have a little powwow with her teacher.

We were at a total loss for how to discipline for this.  Pencils and erasers are one thing; a cell phone is another entirely!

I called my parents for advice.

And for the first time, I understood exactly what it meant when my parents would tell me that my spanking "hurts me more than it hurts you."

It never made sense before.

It does now.

And, Mom and Dad, I know you're reading this.  But quit laughing!

2 comments:

  1. That's a tough one. If she doesn't respond, I'd suggest counseling. It can be hard to go to a 3rd party for help, but they may have insights and techniques that will be helpful. It's been good for our family, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a very serious discussion with her teacher at the end of the day yesterday (there are advantages to living right across the street from the school), plus another one when she got home, and some pretty stiff punishment. Large Fry is already seeing the counselor at school, because of some already-established issues. She's the one who spent the most time with her biological parents, and despite the stability of the last three and a half years with us, there's some underlying issues. Those are hard to express when you're six and you have an expressive language delay. We also have the name of a local therapist who accepts the kids' insurance and we're going to set up appointments for all three of them, if possible. We know the help that counseling can bring, but it's good to know that we're not the only ones who have been helped by it! Thanks.

      Delete

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.