Wednesday, February 29, 2012

1:30 a.m.: A Story in Two Parts

Part One

Last night, Medium Fry was inconsolable at bedtime.

She didn't want to go to bed.

I was supposed to be in charge of the tucking last night, and Hubby was going to give hugs from where he was collapsed on the couch while I hobbled upstairs to do the bedtime routine.

Medium whimpered and whined from her spot on Hubby's lap that she couldn't go to bed alone.

She wouldn't be alone...Small Fry would be there.

But the giants would get her, she insisted.  At least, I think that's what she said, because she was still crying and rubbing her eyes.

Yep, totally exhausted.

We both asked her what was so scary about her room.

"The things," she said.

What things?

"Fwankencelewry and Juniowr awre dewre, an'..."

Great.  VeggieTales characters.

"Mommy is going to kick the monsters out.  She always remembers.  I usually forget," Hubby pointed out logically.

Silly Hubby.  Irrational fears do not respond to logic.  Even in small females.
Popoki, patrolling the new house.

"Po lives here, honey," I said gently.  "This is her house.  She will fight off the giants.  She doesn't like them.  She won't let them get you."

"But Popo never comes into my wroom.  She can't pwotect me."

"She doesn't need to.  She keeps 'em all out of the house."  I could tell this was not going to end quickly.  We were going to be here another half hour just convincing her that she could to to bed before we even got her upstairs.  I slapped Hubby on the leg and told him he needed to come in and tuck in the kids with me.

We got the twins settled in their beds and said prayers.  We tucked their covers over them.

I settled Medium's Max (of Dr. Seuss & Grinch fame) next to her, by the ladder up to her loft bed.  "Here, Max will guard you."

Medium smiled sleepily at me, thumb in her mouth, and closed her eyes.


Part Two


I'm in bed.  It's after one in the morning.  I'm rather blearily half-awake when I heard the door at the other end of the hallway open and close.  From the soft rattle I heard, I can guess which munchkin is soon going to enter my room.

Medium shuffles in.  "Mommy?"

"What's the matter, honey?" I asked softly.

Medium clambered up on the bed.  "I'm skawred."

"Why?"

"Max isn't pwotecting me anymowre."  She fidgets as she gets comfy under the covers.

"He's not?  Why not?"

"Becauwse his eyes got tiyewrd."

Ooookay.  Arguing with that one is going to be pointless.

"You can stay here for awhile, then.  Lay down and go back to sleep," I murmured, stroking my hand over her hair.

Thumb popped back in her mouth, Medium hunkered down into Hubby's pillows.

She was out like a light within seconds.

I guess Mommy is better at keeping away giants and monsters than Max or Popoki.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.