Friday, May 17, 2013

Hubby puts the "fun" in "funeral"...

Hubby and PeeJay do not have a church secretary that works for them and the church.

No, Miss Wanda is so much more than that.

Her official title is "Ministerial Assistant," but that still glosses over all that she does.

So, when we heard that Miss Wanda's mom passed away earlier this week, it was a no-brainer. Hubby and I would be attending the funeral.

The Fries, who just looooooove Miss Wanda, made her a wonderful card before they went to school on Tuesday.

Hubby managed to get lost on the way to the funeral home. This is significant for two reasons. One, this may be the first time in nearly 17 years of marriage that Hubby has admitted to being lost. Two, we live in a town with a population of about 5300, not counting horses, sheep, llamas, and cows. And the funeral home is on the main drag right through town. Kinda hard to miss. And Hubby has a map in his head that would rival Rand McNally's.

So, once Hubby reoriented himself, we arrived at the funeral home.  The last time I'd been at this place, the officiating minister had interspersed over 60 "amens" in less than 12 minutes of homily. (Yes, Hubby counted.)

We went in and paid our respects to Miss Wanda and her family, and took our seats.

During the first hymn that was played, Hubby leaned over and whispered that he wanted a church funeral. I nodded, already having that one figured out.

The he whispered,  "And I want 'The Trumpet of Jesus' played...on bagpipes."

I tried desperately to contain my bubbling giggles.  And I poked and elbowed Hubby several times.  He sniggered at me.

I'm still chuckling as I think about it.

My dad is going to be either horrified (that's a favorite song of his) or entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.