Monday, December 4, 2023

Long Live Virginia Beach

I mentioned in a previous post that we went to Virginia Beach this summer for vacation.

I know, it's kind of late to be doing a summer vacation post, but hey, at least it's here.

We went to Virginia Beach last year for vacation after our plans to go to SeaTown again with Special Edition and Mr. Nurse never were able to materialize. In conversation with my dear friend Netta on one of our many monthly get-togethers, she had mentioned how much her family loved Virginia Beach, and I decided last year it sounded like a nice place to go. We'd never been, and the drive was no worse than to SeaTown. We had a lovely time last year, and decided to go back this year.

This year our hotel was much closer to the beach; we were a whole block away, which was super nice. Also super nice was that the price was a couple hundred dollars less than what I'd paid last year.

We arrived on a Sunday night, and got settled into our tiny little suite.

The next day we hit the beach. The girls played in the waves while I sat in the shade of the beach umbrella (I am the sort who needs SPF Bulletproof) and pulled out my book to read. This is how I like to enjoy my beach vacation.

On Tuesday we went mini-golfing. Oof. Expensive. But we had lots of fun. I made us stop mid-course for a "groupie" (you can't call it a selfie when there's four of you in the picture, can you?) and the girls obliged. We went back to the beach after mini-golf to find it much more crowded than it was the day before. Thunder had us leaving earlier than we would have liked, as storms rolled in, but then we went thrifting. The twins--Middle especially--were eager to call their friends and tell them all about their purchases.

Wednesday was more beach fun, and then meeting up with Ms. Sunshine and Mr. W for dinner. Ms. Sunshine is a college friend, and her husband is an editing client of mine.

Thursday and Friday were both the same; we went to the beach. How boring, I know. But this was a beach vacation. I got to enjoy reading three books over the course of the week and the girls all turned deeper shades of tan than they already are. I found myself missing the days when they were little and loved making sand castles and digging holes and doing general little-kid stuff, but then, I also enjoy now, when I can let them go play in the waves and not have to be out there myself. (I still did a head count often.)

We had an excellent time, and hopefully we'll be able to go back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.